Monday, January 10, 2011

Status review

How would summarize the first week? Statistically all students except one setup their blogs. Hurray.

There are no statistics about how many articles were read, written about and commented on but generally it seems as if there's a positive attitude toward using blogs in education among peers and in teaching (older students). There were some wonderful specifics as to how others use blogs in teaching.

Over the weekend many have adding gadgets to their blog page and hoping others will be inspiring or question the value of the particular gadget.

So we've setup the blogs, reviewed the literature, played with the technology and basically started to feel at home with blogs. Now we need to assess how we could and do use blogs. So blog about your thoughts on the usefulness of the features and how you would use them in teaching, in education or in your personal blog.

The next question is how do we use blogs effectively and in particular how do we manage all the blogs we wish to read. Have you tried the RSS feeds (Post(Atom) at the bottom of the blog page? Tell me how it's working!

2 comments:

  1. I think the best thing about the RSS feeds and the "My Blog List" features is that you are getting the information you need to know if it's worth checking out those sites. The RSS feeds for BBC and Haaretz are listing the current headlines, so you can click on an individual story that is new or interesting. Likewise, I now know whether it's time to check out other blogs in my grouping since the blog links also show the time that blogger posted last. Before I added the blog list, I was wasting a lot of time going from blog to blog to see if anyone had posted something new. A great feature!

    jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we have mostly made great progress, beginning with introductions, looking for info about teaching & blogs and then exploring gagets. In playing with RSS feeds, I ended up with a "subcribe to posts/atom" at the bottom of my page. This doesn't have the orange & white RSS logo, but I think it gets the job done. I didn't have very good luck with the RSS feeds with logo, but the posts/atom subscribe link works well I think.

    ReplyDelete