Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The News Today

I suppose I need to blog about today's and recent news about Apple. Those of us interested in travel and other things that money can buy, regardless of what computer we favor, wish we had bought Apple stock a long time ago. It sounds like the stock is dropping with the announcement of Job's stepping back from day-today management of Apple for health reasons, and now or soon might be our opportunity to get some cheaper than normal stock in Apple.

Apple was also in the news by its absence at the annual show-off-your-new-electronic-toys show in Las Vegas earlier this month. Apparently the big new toy, the new iPad, wasn't ready for show and tell. But the intriguing a toy may be, the more serious the investigation into the toy becomes. Rumor has that there are cameras in the front and back of the new iPad, for taking pictures and videos and for Skyping, and it doesn't fit in the old folders and covers. Watching the advancements in the first round of iPad and the criticism on missing functions, I'm guessing that there will be many other new features as well.

Closer to the human side of life, my prayers continue to go out to the victims of the Tucson shooting and their families. Of course, my thoughts return to the struggles for civil rights in the 60's and even today. May our technology be a tool for greater civility and not a device to destroy humanity.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Denvy! That is really interesting what is going on in Apple...because in all honesty, I am Mac person. As far as advancing features, I too am interested in seeing what they are going to add to the new iPad. It's a little frustrating as a consumer however that keeping up to date can be so expensive seeing as you mentioned some of the accessories will not fit. To go out and buy new ones is costly....but that is probably why Apple does so well, their customers are usually life long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I am pretty interested in the new tablets, but can anyone tell me whether you can use a stylus and link to YouTube to create presentations? I'd love to be able to do that for class, like the guy at khanacademy.org...

    I haven't been able to find one where I can just play with it for a bit to see what it can do, and it's a lot of money to plunk down without knowing for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will difinetely be looking into Apple stock. Perhaps the new management will sunk it further or perhaps things may sky-rocket?

    I am purchasing one of those new Ipads for my spouse. I'm sure she'll find lots of cool things to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just checked on my iPad. Even though I use it frequently I never fully explored the YouTube app that comes with the iPad. Yes, it works great although I did not investigate the ease or challenges for uploading videos. And you're right about the investment and that's why I still want the university to buy a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denvy, that's a great idea. It would be great to have one available to check out overnight so I could try it out. Honestly, I have been waiting for years for the tablets to become affordable--they are still a lot of money, but when the second version comes out this spring, the first version may fall in price. So I want to know if it will do what I want!

    ReplyDelete