Friday, January 15, 2010

Certifying our Blogability

Somewhere below me about 30 thousand feet is Kansas, or Oklahoma, or maybe Texas.  I'll be touching Mother Earth when I post this.  This little jaunt to my brother-in-law's wedding is quite different from the journey we are taking through the blogosphere.

The journey started safely by connecting with a provider (we're using blogger.com by Google), and creating our own little world for self-publication.  Our mileposts, correlated with our writings or blog entries are something like this:
  • Introducing ourselves
  • Searching the web for information about providers, their features and setting up a blog
  • Exploring the Internet to discover what others think about the blogosphere and what it is doing to our social network
  • Digging through the dusty piles of professional journals to get a sense of what professionals think about how blogging is effecting education and how it may effect teaching and learning in the future, or right now
  • Connecting with each other through RSS or subscriptions or following
  • Reading each other's blogs to benefit from their findings, opinions and reflections
  • Adding widgets or gadgets as tools to enrich the blogging experience
  • Returning to the web, or other sources, to see how other teachers are using blogs
  • Tapping the great minds of writers, publishers and salespersons to design a plan for marketing our blog, or future blogs that are not merely the result of an instructor's demand
  • Synthesizing all this information (Having already analyzed it), nurturing it into knowledge and identifying the characteristics of your next ideal blog to be used with your peers or you students
Having done all that, you have reached a point in your journey where a blog can be a useful vehicle as opposed to an intimidating mystery.

While I am not getting off the ship or abandoning the journey, I want you to know how enlightening this experience has been for me.  I will be a better traveler next time and I know you will be also.

May the force be with you this last week or so.

6 comments:

  1. Master Denvy, you have braved a new journey allowing your students to be empowered by self expression, playing and relying on each other. This interdependence will always be at the heart of any human experience. We are always looking for connection and it has so far been an interesting journey getting to know people through their blog. Sadly, with only 8 people it is still difficult to connect with each and every one. I am enjoying our blogging trip together as a small intimate group. Our vastly different backgrounds and tastes of life have brought to this class a flavor that is unlike Salem in my eyes. We have variety in how we view the world and express the understanding we each come to. I look forward to seeing how we wrap up and if blogs continue to develop. I believe I will continue blogging. I may even use it as a brainstorming tool and data gathering tool as I develop my thesis idea. Well, the future has yet to come so what do I know???

    Happy Reading Mr. Denvy,
    Airin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each of us have entered this journey with different skill sets and levels of confidence. While I feel that I am not ready to enter the freeway, I most certainly have ventured off the one lane country road. I truly don't want to be left behind with the inability to travel to new and different places and therefore I will continue to try to gain those skills that will allow me to go beyond both personally and as an educator.

    The part that I have felt to be the most enriching for me is the connection with my collegues through their blogs. This class has truly amazing people. The variety of their skills, knowledge, interests and personalities all comes through in their writing and sharings. So, to my surprise, a personal connection is possible through blogging. I do believe that the face to face gathering helped to solidify this connection for me. However brief, it was impactful. So my task remains to attempt to attach gadgets and the like to a blog of mine as well as to develop some marketing ideas. I will get there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a perpetual student, I have taken many classes over the years. But this class will stand out in my mind for a number of reasons.

    1) The size--I'm still meeting and connecting with everyone in this class but this is the only time I felt like I truly connected with everyone in a class on some level

    2) The teacher's approach to subject matter--Obviously you know blogs and technology but you neither exalt nor eschew these technologies. It is so interesting to work with a teacher who can teach technology through contemporary media and established philosophy.

    3) The hybrid format--online only courses don't always provide the necessary human connections and in-person only courses don't allow for creative uses of technology. But this was a wonderful mixture of the two. Actually, I would have liked one more class meeting at about the 2/3rds point but perhaps that is something for another quarter.

    I've enjoyed (and will continue to enjoy) the journey with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Vanessa, that at least one other meeting would be a great benefit to this hybrid class experience. I've found so many interesting blogs - and this class will challenge me to find my own voice, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too agree. Denvy has a lot to offer and I learned a lot from Rebekkah during our blog class meeting-she is a pro. One more might have offered another direct learning experience. As far as blogging goes I think it is still evolving. Many of the sites look like mini or a page from a website.
    Just as certain websites appeal to different people blogging is a very personal thing too. Some blogs I find interesting and some are just of little interest to me. I guess the challenge is finding one that fits you or even better start you own! The beauty of blogging.
    Good luck to you in your travels Denvy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though I've been a blogger before this class, I have really benefitted from reading the other students blogs and learning about blogging from journals and articles. It's been quite a good experience for me and I hope it has been for others as well. I've really enjoyed reading all of your blogs!

    ReplyDelete