Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Blackout by Wikipedia and others

I don't frequent Wikipedia but it does offer some quick information from time to time, such as the population of Tanzania. Today I visited the site to learn more about the blackout. Legislation is always hard to understand and this is no exception. I suspect I could find ways to argue both sides of this issue but it seems as if this may be an ill-constructed piece legislation missing the mark and causing more chaos then order.

I did submitted a letter to our representative suggesting that education, what we're trying to do here at WOU, is more important than regulation. Take a look. Today only. What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that education is more important than legislation. I don't believe that stealing someone else's work and using it for your own benefit is right or just and it should be punished. But I also feel these bills aren't what we need to solve the problem. Additionally, I also feel we have bigger fish to fry at the moment. Depending on your political view, I'd say most would agree there are 5 or more issues of more importance our legislature should be spending their time on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My students all have laptops and therefore we google EVERYTHING in class--maps, images, definitions, dates, videos,etc... We use wikipedia for general fast info, but of course not for research sources on papers and projects. I rely so much on those search engines and wikis now that I live in a 1:1 classroom. I realize how important those sharing rights are for my students and myself. I can understand both sides as well, but I have to lean towards those against the bill because I want my information and I want it fast. Isn't that a crazy norm our society has instilled in us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Based on the brief readings I have done on the bill I agree it does not seem like its going to solve any problems, but rather cause other ones. The focus does need to be on education. I have found sites such as Wikipedia and Flickr great to teach about copyright. I have used Wikipedia to have kids edit and practice citing sources. I have found Flickr great to teach about Creative Commons.

    ReplyDelete