Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Just another fad

Or is it?

Blogs all over the Internet are using numbers like 300,000 sold the first day and one million apps uploaded during that same period. The new toy is on the market. And is it just a toy or the "printing press" of the 21st century, changing the face of publishing, reading, writing and the general use of the written word? And with changes in communication and attitudes toward the new toys, come changes in education. Will there be a government bailout of textbook publishers? "I like the feel of a book in my hands," is a paraphrase of many readers. But the iPad page change mimics the turning of a page in a book. Teachers in my class last evening said that you can write in the margins of the public school textbook because they will be used by another student in the upcoming year, nor can you highlight important sentences. If every student had this electronic book with "highlighting" capabilities, wouldn't that be a plus also.

But I'm waiting. There are downsides to this technology and I want to know what they are and if they relevant enough to not buy one, or maybe I'll wait until version 2.0 comes out eliminating those limitations.

I think this exceeded the hula hoop and pet rock, and the expectations of Apple, but how will this toy fare in the long run? Anyone have one yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment