Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Staying the Journey

Certainly the theme education encompasses my life. PBS was just talking about teachers and education, and I realized that what intrigues me now as much as anything, is the changes that are occurring. The drivers in this change seem to be either politics such as NCLB, our status among other nations and technology.

During the past several weeks with my new focus on Professional Learning Environment (PLE) or Personal Learning Network (PLN), I have been pushed and shoved is so many directions, I'm too dizzy to stay up straight. But I've learned to take small steps, start simple, progress slowly and keep going. When the information becomes more than I'm ready for, pick only the most important information and gradually add from the peripheral. Don't expect to understand everything. Just because something is new doesn't mean that's what I need to do. Just because something is traditional and well-used doesn't mean that I can't change.

Frustration can come at many levels whether it's a president without a health care bill or a baby who can't verbalize hunger. Frustration can be managed particularly when looking beyond the immediate surroundings. The big picture in lifelong learning is finding and utilizing the tools that benefit that process. Frustration will come while searching for those tools but small deliberate steps will get you there.

1 comment:

  1. This week, the one constant is the constant movement around me - if you hear a big "sucking" noise coming from my corner of the Cottage, you'll know it's the giant vortex of aggregators spinning me down the funnel. I just can't seem to see the twigs for the forest. Thanks for the reminder that the small deliberate steps will still point me in the right direction. I so appreciate your sense of calm in the storm. ty!

    ReplyDelete