Thursday, February 4, 2010

Fields of Green


As I crested the final small hill approaching Monmouth, with the cloud defused sunrise in front of me, I saw a large expansive field of green, fresh from the night's rain. Something in me moved. It was beautiful. The feeling is one that each of us has from time to time in different settings for different reasons.

If I have a fear about computers, it's losing that feeling. For me it's a matter of experiencing less often in lieu of a computer screen. For another generation, I fear it may be never experiencing it at all. One evening PBS ran a feature on the national parks of America, calling it America's best idea, and one day earlier they ran the Digital Nation feature about how America and its society is changing through computers. What a dichotomy!

What do I fear about computers? I fear losing the special inspiration and rejuvenation that comes from appreciating nature and its beauty. I fear ever experiencing a hug from the friend behind the computer screen. I have a plan to reclaim my time with nature and beauty, and gather hugs. Do you?

This is not my picture but you get the idea.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely sentiment; just as nature can best be appreciated by being there - so, too, with classic works of art. I've never seen a digital version of Monet that compares to the size - and incredible sense of light - witnessed in person. A virtual trip to the countryside or museum can never duplicate the same depth of experience.

    Well said.

    ReplyDelete